There’s a common misconception that branding has less impact in the B2B space. Specifically, there’s a misconception that branding for law firms is a bit of a waste of time. The people that law firms are dealing with are clearly level-headed, sensible people that wouldn’t be duped into becoming a client by something so frivolous as branding. If you’re not exactly passing the bar, then, you’re right. Branding can’t do all the legwork for you. But, if your services and positioning are air-tight, then branding for law firms should be an essential part of your strategy.
Why bother with branding for law firms?
Take Dyson, for example. You’ve undoubtedly heard of this household appliance giant. There’s nothing inherently exciting about a hoover or a hairdryer. That is, there’s nothing exciting about a hoover or hairdryer until you create some amazing branding. Dyson is the leader in their space because their products are great and their branding positions them as futuristic and cool. A cool hoover. Who would have thought? And now, we’re forking over £500 for a fan that you could get for a fraction of the price. That’s the power of brand in action.
Don’t just take our word for it. Only the most successful businessman and richest man in the world by a country-mile agrees with us. Jeff Bezos famously said: “Your brand is what other people say about you when you’re not in the room.” What do you want people saying about your firm when you’re not there?
This all doesn’t sound very logical. But, the thing is, the human mind doesn’t run on logic any more than a horse runs on petrol. We’re not the sensible, business decision-makers that we’d like to think we are in professional services. Our brains are just the same at work as they are at home. The majority of things aren’t logical. They’re psychological.
The same can be said for your law firm’s potential clients. Just like how Dyson’s sleek branding makes us want to go and buy their products, branding for law firms can sway a customer from one firm to another.
What actually is branding for law firms?
Essentially, branding is your firm’s identity, values and personality. It’s what differentiates you from your competitors and defines your firm as unique. This may seem a little up in the air, but it has a genuine impact.
The most recognisable aspect of branding is visual identity. Visual identity makes up your firm’s name, logo, colour palette, etc. Most people think that branding begins and ends there, but they’d be wrong! Branding for law firms encompasses how clients experience your firm, how you communicate with them, your values and how they’re implemented into your business, and more.
Your reputation as a firm is all wrapped up in your branding. Remember what Mr Bezos said? Visual branding for law firms will attract clients to your business. And then, every single interaction with a client should be guided by the other aspects of your branding. Your firm’s reputation will be strengthened by a firm set of values that are implemented throughout every aspect of the client journey.
What is there to gain from great branding for law firms?
- Brand awareness – Without a hefty marketing budget, it can be incredibly difficult to get your brand out there and in front of the right audiences. By creating a unique and distinctive brand, you’ll be able to spread your brand awareness much further and more effectively. A robust branding strategy provides a foundation for all your client interactions and your further marketing efforts. It also builds name recognition within your target audience.
- Winning clients – At just a glance, your branding (or, at the very least, good branding) conveys a multitude of things. It carries an instant recognition that your potential and current clients will form a relationship with. Additionally, it will set your firm apart from your competitors in a distinctive way.
- Credibility – Your branding conveys a promise to clients. It tells your clients what you’ll deliver to them, how you’ll deliver it, what they can expect and what makes your firm different from the rest. This kind of credibility is priceless and will automatically win clients’ trust if it’s what they’re looking for.
- In house collaboration – Branding doesn’t only positively impact clients. It also positively impacts your employees. With a strong set of branding, you’ll be able to implement these values throughout all your firm’s practices and set a united front. This helps build communication and understanding within partners.
- Further development for employees – If a firm’s brand is widely recognised and carries positive associations, your partners and employees will also benefit. It’ll aid in their careers and help raise their personal profiles through association with the brand.
- Aid in recruitment – Let’s face it. Nobody wants to work for a boring brand that feels like it’s stuck in the stone age. An exciting, engaging brand helps with recruiting new and fresh talent. Potential candidates will also have a greater understanding of the brand and its values.
- Better pricing and positioning – Just take a look at our friend Dyson. They charge a premium price for their product and we’re all happy to pay it. Incredible branding helps to justify a premium price tag.
Don’t settle for branding that leaves a bad taste in potential clients’ mouths. You want people to laud your firm when you leave the room. Listen to Jeff! Branding is the way forward. If you need expert advice on all things branding, contact Boss Digital today for a free consultation.