What is Keyword Research?
Keyword research is a critical first step to set up effective PPC campaigns for gyms. Choosing the right keywords helps you maximise visibility for your most relevant audience – people looking for gym and fitness options.
Let’s go over proven techniques to identify the best PPC keywords to attract customers and boost memberships.
The Importance of Targeted Keywords
With PPC advertising, keywords trigger when your ads are shown. Targeting keywords that indicate user intent and interest in gyms, you’ll reach those most likely to visit your site and convert.
Avoid generic keywords like “fitness”, and instead, go for phrases that convey readiness to find a gym, like “gym memberships” or “24 hour gyms nearby”.
Gym & Fitness Specific Keywords
Leverage keyword research tools to discover the exact terminology people use when searching for facilities like yours. Keywords might include:
- Gym near me
- Ladies gym [city]
- Yoga studio memberships
- Personal trainers [area]
- Kickboxing classes
Look also for niche, long-tail versions like “South West London indoor cycling studio” to hone in on subsets of searchers.
Conducting Your Keyword Research
Follow these steps to surface the best keywords:
- Use Google Ads Keyword Planner and tools like SEMRush to generate keyword ideas and view monthly search volume.
- Look at keywords competitors are ranking for by analysing their sites and campaigns.
- Brainstorm additional gym-specific keywords and long-tail variants.
- Prioritise keywords with solid search volume and high relevance for your business.
- Evaluate cost-per-click (CPC) and competition to inform budgets.
Choose Core and Niche Keywords
Build a diverse keyword list including:
- High-traffic terms like “gym membership deals” to drive visibility. These are broader keywords that will get a high volume of searches and increase the overall visibility of your ads. Make sure to include general keywords that people are likely to use when looking for any type of gym.
- Specific keywords like “Yoga studio [your city]” for qualified traffic. Use long-tail keywords that focus on specific gym features, classes, facilities, and locations you offer. This attracts users who are looking for those exact services.
- Local keywords e.g. “Reading gym” for geo-targeted ads. Incorporate keywords with your city name or surrounding areas to target searches from people in proximity to your gym.
- Other niche gym terms based on your unique offerings like “MMA gym”, “spin classes”, “Zumba studio”, etc. Include keywords relevant to the specific facilities and programmes you have.
Virgin Active use niche long-tail and location based keywords which are based on their gym’s unique offerings; their Google Ad is displayed to users searching for “gyms with yoga classes in London”:
With the right mix of core and niche keywords, your gym’s PPC ads will reach broader audiences as well as the most qualified and local audiences. Always conduct thorough keyword research to get the most out of your gym’s PPC campaigns.
We offer the opportunity to learn from industry experts and professionals who share their invaluable insights and expertise on The Fitness Network Podcast.
We delve into a diverse range of topics, providing listeners with a wealth of knowledge and perspectives. Expand your understanding, gain new skills, and stay updated on the latest trends and developments in the ever evolving Health and Fitness industry.