SEO for Charities
The importance of SEO for charities can’t be underestimated. Without it, your non-profit will struggle to attract donors or volunteers to help with its fundraising events.
The Benefits of SEO for Charities
SEO can significantly enhance your charity’s online presence, boost your reach, and drive valuable engagement, ultimately helping you to achieve your mission and create a positive impact in the world.
KEY CONSIDERATIONS FOR YOUR SEO STRATEGY
Mastering SEO for charities is no mean feat. Luckily, we have extensive experience of helping non profits like yours to boost brand visibility, attract volunteers and increase donations. Here are some of the key considerations you’ll need to get started with SEO:
NAILING YOUR KEYWORD RESEARCH
Your SEO strategy will only succeed if the right keywords and phrases are woven into your copy.
Fortunately, the internet is abundant with keyword research tools which require no experience and which could help drive high-quality traffic.
Google Keyword Planner is a good place to start. But you may want to trial other tools to see which works best.
To get started:
– List the terms you want to rank for on a spreadsheet – for example fundraising, donors, and charities
– Upload them into Google Keyword Planner
– Review the data to determine: Average monthly searches, Competition
In addition to keywords, there are other on-page ranking factors that could influence your position in Search Engine’s. Here are three essential optimisation tactics…
#1 Write attention-grabbing meta descriptions
Meta descriptions are short snippets of text that appear in search results. To increase clicks and traffic, keep them under 160 characters, highlight unique selling points (USPs), and include a call to action.
#2 Create high-quality content
Create diverse content like blogs, videos, and case studies. Weave phrases naturally into titles, use engaging content accompanied by visually appealing images, and write for your target audience’s needs.
#3 Mobile responsiveness matters
Optimise your site for mobile users by using large fonts, avoiding clutter, and ensuring clickable elements are well-spaced to provide a clean and user-friendly interface.
TECHNICAL SEO FOR CHARITIES
Technical SEO falls under the banner of on-page SEO. It requires deep expertise and encompasses all of the following and more…
– Site speed – slow loading pages deliver poor user experiences which Google frowns upon
– Crawlability – confusing sitemaps will make it harder for search engines to understand your content
– Duplicate content – which forces Google to choose which page to rank in the SERPS (and it’s not always the original)
– Broken links – suggesting your site is old and no longer in use.
OFF-SITE SEO FOR CHARITIES
Your website and email account are two assets you control. Working in perfect concert these mechanisms attract customers to your brand and increase conversion rates.
But to be successful you must become a pioneer – bravely breaking into new digital territories to spread your brand message.
That’s why off-site SEO is about…
- Building a strong social media presence (posting costs nothing)
- Encouraging and gathering customer testimonials for case studies
- Asking clients to post positive feedback on review sites like TrustPilot
- Using influencers to validate and spread your brand message
- Backlinking to your website by guest posting on third party sites
LOCAL SEO FOR CHARITIES
Even if your charity is national it’ll need to attract volunteers to cover regional fundraising events – while targeting the local community to generate interest and capture the attention of nearby businesses.
Local SEO doesn’t mean limiting your marketing to a single geographical area though. You can run multiple campaigns concurrently or in sequence – provided your targeting is relevant to your audience.
To build successful local SEO campaigns…
– Add your contact details to trusted directories like Yelp and optimise entries using keywords
– Ensure your name, address, and telephone number are identical wherever mentioned
– Promote local events by supporting a local team or becoming a go-to source for industry news in your area
– Create and optimise a profile on Google My Business
Frequently Asked Questions about our SEO Services for Charities
How long does it take to see results from SEO?
SEO is a gradual process, and the time it takes to see significant results can vary based on factors like competition, website authority, and keyword difficulty. It’s important to view SEO as a long-term investment, as consistent optimisation over time leads to improved visibility and organic traffic.
How can SEO strategies be measured?
SEO success can be measured through various metrics, including organic website traffic, keyword rankings, bounce rates, conversion rates, and engagement on search engine results pages (SERPs). Regularly analysing these metrics will allow you to assess the impact of your SEO strategies and make data-driven decisions.
Can SEO be used with other digital marketing strategies?
SEO complements other digital marketing methods like content marketing, social media, and email marketing. High-quality content optimised for SEO attracts organic traffic, which can be nurtured through email campaigns and engaged through social media.
Is local SEO necessary for national or international charities?
Yes, local SEO is still essential for national or international charities. It helps attract volunteers for regional events, target local communities for support, and generate interest from nearby businesses.
How important is mobile optimisation for SEO?
Mobile optimisation is crucial for SEO success, as search engines prioritise mobile-friendly websites in their rankings. With a significant portion of internet users accessing websites through mobile devices, a mobile-responsive website will ensure better user experiences, lower bounce rates, and improved search rankings.
Our team care about two things – doing brilliant work and making an impact. That’s why we’re directing every free moment to helping the
Contact us today for a free consultation to drive change and grow your market share.
"*" indicates required fields